I could not pass up an opportunity to attend the Children's Literature Conference at UVU on March 12, especially after I learned that Shannon Hale would be the key-note speaker. She is one of my favorite middle-grade writers and has written several books, including the Newberry Honor book, Princess Academy; Goose Girl; and Rapunzel's Revenge.
The conference was fantastic! I was inspired and uplifted by the multiple speakers, and I left with a further determination to write. Writing is my passion, and writing for children is what I'm meant to do! It was a lot of fun being around others who feel the same way about writing and about children's literature.
And I got to meet Shannon Hale! She was hilarious and had a lot of helpful advice about taking the time to write and develop stories. She even signed my newest book, Book of a Thousand Days, with a fun message, as shown in the picture. It was a great conference, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to attend!
Here are 12 helpful hints given by Shannon Hale's to inspiring writers:
1. Write everyday.
2. Write at least a thousand words a day.
3. Keep a writing journal and record what you have accomplished each day.
4. Work on 2 projects at a time.
5. Ask a lot of questions!
6. Don't put everything into 1 book.
7. Don't rush publication.
8. Really know your setting.
9. Keep track of your words and try not to repeat them.
10. Be able to write everywhere and whenever.
11. Write in scenes, not notes.
12. Outline your story.
sassier than yaks? wow!
ReplyDelete