Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Best Medicine

The weather here in Oregon changed drastically this past week from being in the 100s to the low 60s. As a result, I got a cold. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my week home alone when I had so many things to get done (one being to send my manuscript to a publisher!), but I made the most of it: I read! There's no better cure in my mind than reading a good book in bed. And because I had no huge obligations after I got home from work and no one to bother me, it's exactly how I spent the last 3 evenings. So maybe being sick wasn't all that bad: I finished two really good books and just started a third.

The first one is called Loving Will Shakespeare by Caroyln Meyer. I really enjoyed it, especially after being in Stratford-upon-Avon, where Shakespeare grew up. The story is an historical-fiction from Anne Hathaway's point of view. It was amazing being able to actually picture the places the author describes. Of course, because so little is really known about Shakespeare or Anne Hathaway, I think most of the story was fiction rather than historical, and there were a few things I would've left out, but I still enjoyed it a lot. If you're looking for a good book, I recommend it.

The other book I finished in one day was Enna Burning by Shannon Hale. I started it in Provo about a month ago, but wasn't able to finish it until I got to Oregon. Wow--have I mentioned that Shannon Hale is a brilliant writer?!? I LOVED this book and couldn't put ti down! It's the sequel to Goose Girl, so you'll need to read that one first, but I hope everyone gets the chance to read them! I still don't know how Shannon Hale does it--her stories are so creative and include a ton of intermingling plots that all come together in the end. And her writing is so rich and descriptive without overdoing it! I really wish I could write like her. I guess I'd better keep reading her works, as that's one of the best things a writer can do to improve their own skills. =)

So, as you can see, I haven't been too lonely this past week. I've read about 2 pages of Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George, so not enough to comment on, but I think I'm going to like this book as well. All let you know what I think when I'm done.

Isn't the library great? I've already been there 4 or 5 times in the 3 weeks I've been home, and I have about 10 books sitting next to my bed waiting to be read. For me, going to the library is like a five-year-old in a candy shop: my eyes get big, my heart starts pounding, and I want one of everything! It's great.

Sigh...I love books.

No comments:

Post a Comment