Sunday, December 27, 2009

2009

I’ve been thinking a lot about this past year and honestly can’t believe how much has happened in such a short time. Usually we say, “Wow, this year went by so fast!” but, really, I would have to say the opposite: “Wow, this was the longest year EVER.” This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; I just can’t believe how many changes have occurred in my life in just a year! I look back on last spring—or even last summer and fall—and it feels like ages ago.

But I have also grown in so many ways this past year. Honestly, I feel like a different person now than I was even four months ago. It’s amazing how we really don’t know what’s going to happen in our lives, but Heavenly Father does, and He guides us according to His will. What I would’ve planned to happen in 2009 is a lot different than what did happen, but everything has worked out for the better. Yes, there were times when I didn’t think I’d make it through another day, but I have had a lot of happy moments too that I would never replace.

So, I’ve come up with a list of 10 things I did this past year that greatly influenced my life:

1. I went to UVU Children’s Literature Conference. I know I talked about this in a previous post, but it really had a huge impact on my life! My desires to write were strengthened and it became clearer to me that writing for children is something I should and want to pursue. I only attended the conference for one day, but it really was one of the best days of my life!

2. I declared an editing minor. This hasn’t gone according to my plan, but I’m sure Heavenly Father has a reason for why I felt good about minoring in editing and why needed to stay at BYU another year (I don’t like editing as much as I had hoped). I’ve met a lot of amazing people and have learned a ton, which I know will be a big help in finding a job no matter what I end up doing.

3. I spent a long weekend at the Oregon Coast. This was not only the relaxing vacation that I needed, but it also had a huge influence on #4…



4. I “finished” my story!!! The first draft (thanks to my time at the beach) was completed after 5 long years of writing. Double-spaced, it is over 500 pages long! Now I’m working on revisions so I can further submit it to different agents and publishers (see #8)

5. I spent most of my spring/summer in Provo. This was honestly the best summer of my life. It was nice not having to worry about classes except for one Independent Study course, and I was able to work a few hours and play for the rest! It was a great break before a long Fall semester…



6. I went to the British Isles! This fulfilled one of my greatest dreams: to go to England. Even better was the fact that I got to fulfill my dream with my best friend, Laura, and we got to go to 4 European countries instead of just 1 (England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland)! It was honestly the best 2 weeks of my life.



7. I submitted my novel to a publishing house…and received my first rejection letter! The experience was more for practice than anything else since I knew my manuscript wasn’t going to be accepted, but it was an exciting step! Now I’m planning on editing my story to the best of my ability (it’s good to put my editing minor to use =)) and try submitting it again.



8. I started my final year at BYU. Like I said earlier, I still don’t know why I’m going to school for an extra year, but I do know it felt right not to graduate last April. These past 4 months have been more than tough, but I made it through! Now, only one semester to go…

9. I cut my hair. This may not seem like a big deal to some people, but for me it really was! I haven’t had my hair this short since 4th grade. I absolutely love it now, but it took some major adjusting. In some ways, I feel like I took on a new identity.



10. My best friend got engaged! Laura, my best friend since high school and my roommate for the past 5 years, got engaged on December 11th to a great guy, Dave Hackett. This has been quite a change in my life, but I’m extremely happy for both of them. Laura and I have a relationship that can’t be explained in words—we’re closer than close, and always will be. I am so happy to see her happy and in love! I even got to help Dave with the proposal, which was fun to be a part of. Now I get to help plan a wedding =).

No comments:

Post a Comment