Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Caldecott Medals

I love the winner(s) of the Caldecott Medal this year!

Caldecott Medal Winner: The Lion & the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney


Honor Book: Red Sings from Treetops illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski


Honor Book: All the World illustrated by Marla Frazee


We had a mock Caldecott in my Children's publishing class a week before the winners were announced, and I had voted for all three of these picture books! I was pretty excited when I heard who had won. We also had Gene Nelson, a member of the Caldecott Committee who helped pick the winners, come and speak to our class. It was a really neat experience to hear how the Caldecott winners are chosen from someone who has done it first-hand. The Caldecott and the Newberry Medals are like the Academy Awards in the children's book world, so it's a pretty big deal.

Maybe you'll see a Newberry on one of my books someday... =)

2 comments:

  1. I see that you have England listed as one of your interests! Perhaps you would enjoy my blog:

    http://picturesofgreatbritain.blogspot.com/

    As often as possible I will post photographs of glorious vistas, charming close-ups, and interesting tidbits of life in Great Britain for the pleasure of Anglophiles everywhere!

    P.S. As an aspiring author myself, I hope that your writing aspirations are fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Atlas Shrugged on my Shelfari Shelf too!

    ReplyDelete