The Oregon Coast (Lincoln City and Tillamook)
We took a day trip to the Oregon Coast the weekend after Trevor got home from his mission. Amazingly, we actually had good weather! It was sunny and beautiful, although a little windy. Lincoln City is definitely one of my favorite places in the world. The ocean may be too cold to swim in, but it's gorgeous to look at.
We followed tradition on this trip and ate lunch at Mo's seafood restaurant, and then sat on the beach for a few hours. Mom and I had fun drawing pictures in the sand (see pictures below), and we watched a few people fly kites. Afterward, we headed to the Tillamook Cheese Factory, home of the best ice cream and cheese in the world. Let's just say my stomach was pretty satisfied on the drive home...
Happiness =)
Lava LakeA few weeks ago, my entire family got together for the first time in two years and went camping at Lava Lake in central Oregon. I was a little apprehensive at first since I haven't gone camping since girl's camp five years ago, and the idea of not showering for a week didn't sound too appealing. But it ended up being a fun vacation--and the lake even had a lodge with showers =).
I didn't have a fishing license like the boys, so I only got to fish once (maybe I shouldn't be admitting this...) without a single bite. Sadly, the fishing was bad for everyone in my family. Between the four guys (my dad, my two brothers, and my uncle) and my sister-in-law, only 3 fish were caught all week. I guess it was a good thing I saved my money and didn't buy a license after all.
I mostly spent my time reading, reading, and reading. In fact, I read three books (see below) in just a few days, so I was pretty happy. I can't remember the last time I just spent all day reading without feeling guilty, so it was a relaxing break. We also played a ton of games as a family, like Ticket to Ride and Sequence; took walks with the dog; "swam" in the Deschutes River, and hiked one morning in the heat. It was definitely hot in central Oregon, but felt nice after a long, wet June.
Here are a few pictures:
Walnut Creek, California
Our most recent trip was to California, near San Fransisco. It was probably one of the quickest vacation we've taken this summer! We drove down on Friday evening (got there at 1:30 AM on Saturday), spent Saturday with family, and then drove home on Sunday. The main reason we went was to support our cousin, who is leaving to serve a two-year mission for my church this Wednesday. We went to his farewell talk on Sunday morning, and he did a great job. I know he's going to be an amazing missionary serving in Ukraine!
My aunt and uncle, who was stayed with, have an amazing house and backyard! It definitely felt like we were staying at a resort because all we did on Saturday was swim in their pool and hot tub, relax in their cabana (which was fully equipped with outdoor kitchen, fireplace, speakers, comfy chairs, and a screen/projector), eat my uncle's famous ribs, and play on their pinball machine. It was definitely worth the 10 hour car ride both ways...
The Cabana from above
Our most recent trip was to California, near San Fransisco. It was probably one of the quickest vacation we've taken this summer! We drove down on Friday evening (got there at 1:30 AM on Saturday), spent Saturday with family, and then drove home on Sunday. The main reason we went was to support our cousin, who is leaving to serve a two-year mission for my church this Wednesday. We went to his farewell talk on Sunday morning, and he did a great job. I know he's going to be an amazing missionary serving in Ukraine!
My aunt and uncle, who was stayed with, have an amazing house and backyard! It definitely felt like we were staying at a resort because all we did on Saturday was swim in their pool and hot tub, relax in their cabana (which was fully equipped with outdoor kitchen, fireplace, speakers, comfy chairs, and a screen/projector), eat my uncle's famous ribs, and play on their pinball machine. It was definitely worth the 10 hour car ride both ways...
So, there might be a trip to Utah planned the end of August, but things are still up in the air...This has been a fun summer, that's for sure, and it's getting better because there is finally sun in Damascus! =)
Time to hit the pool...
Time to hit the pool...
so fun to see you allison!
ReplyDeleteWho is this?
ReplyDeleteThose are some BEAUTIFUL places you've been able to visit! Glad that you posted so I could feel like i was there ;) Keep enjoying the freedom! Love you!
ReplyDeleteYou have some very beautiful pictures Allison! Makes me want to visit Oregon some day.
ReplyDeleteNow I HAVE to visit Oregon someday! I can't believe you were actually right there camping in such gorgeous scenery! Camping in Texas is nothing like that, I must say...all though my home state certainly has its perks!
ReplyDeleteHaha, yeah, it's the only kind of camping I know...I guess I'm a little spoiled =) But come to Oregon! I would love to give a tour...
ReplyDelete