Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Recovering Charles

Wow. I just finished reading Recovering Charles by Jason F. Wright, a powerful novel about a young man trying to find his missing father after hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Everything about it was amazing and powerful--the story, the writing, the details and research that went into it. From the beginning, the story sucks you in as you learn more about Luke and his relationship with his dad from the past to the present. It's a book about forgiveness, hope, healing, and the importance of relationships. It's probably one of the most inspiring books I've read in a long, long time, and I learned more about Hurricane Katrina and the effect it really had on individual lives.

Honestly, I'm usually not interested in adult novels, but when my mom recommended it, I decided to give it a try. I recognized the author's name as well, as he wrote The Wednesday Letters and Christmas Jars (he's LDS, but this book is not LDS fiction). Well, the novel was far beyond my expectation and I would recommend it to ANYONE--even my 15-year-old sister could probably gain something from reading it. So if you're looking for a good read, READ RECOVERING CHARLES. If the writing itself doesn't pull you in, the story definitely will.

2 comments:

  1. That means a lot, thank you! This book was the toughest to write, and it holds a very special place in my heart. You made my day :)

    ReplyDelete