"Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away."
-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Last spring, I wrote about my three biggest goals in life:
1. Become a published writer
2. Get married
3. Become a mom
2. Get married
3. Become a mom
Well, I'm quickly realizing that I don't have a lot of control over goal #2 and #3 (I do the best I can, and then I have to trust in the Lord's timing for the rest), but I do have control over the first goal; at least, to some extent. I can try harder to write a little everyday and work towards getting published.
I never realized how important goals really were until a few weeks ago. Everyone needs something to look forward to and work towards. Without dreams and goals, life can become pretty meaningless. You find yourself going through the motions without much of anything else. It's lonely and sad and, frankly, hard to deal with. Goals point towards the future and gives you something to have hope and faith in. One of my favorite quotes by Elder Holland is, "Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us and that Christ truly is the 'high priest of good things to come.'"
I need stronger faith. I need goals.
One of my favorite authors, Shannon Hale, had twins a few weeks ago. I've always admired her balance of writing and motherhood. I'm sure writing helps her cope with the strains of motherhood, as well as appreciate it even more. I honestly want to have a life like hers (well, minus the twins...), but it's not going to happen over night. Instead, I need to start TODAY working towards those goals: first, writer (since I can control that); second, marriage (I can always be working on this goal through how I see myself and who I become, as well as who I socialize with); third, motherhood (umm...see #2).
So, with that said, I'm posting my goal on my blog so I'll be more accountable for it:
I've been told that November is "write a novel" month. Well, I already have a novel--I just need to finish editing it. Here's my goal:
I thought about making it a goal to finish revising my novel by the end of next month, but another important part of having goals is having practical goals--goals you can accomplish. Honestly, with over 400 pages left to revise, I doubt I could finish my novel by December, but I can at least work towards finishing it everyday.
That is my goal. That is my promise.
And I'm counting on you (whoever you may be) to hold me to it!
I never realized how important goals really were until a few weeks ago. Everyone needs something to look forward to and work towards. Without dreams and goals, life can become pretty meaningless. You find yourself going through the motions without much of anything else. It's lonely and sad and, frankly, hard to deal with. Goals point towards the future and gives you something to have hope and faith in. One of my favorite quotes by Elder Holland is, "Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us and that Christ truly is the 'high priest of good things to come.'"
I need stronger faith. I need goals.
One of my favorite authors, Shannon Hale, had twins a few weeks ago. I've always admired her balance of writing and motherhood. I'm sure writing helps her cope with the strains of motherhood, as well as appreciate it even more. I honestly want to have a life like hers (well, minus the twins...), but it's not going to happen over night. Instead, I need to start TODAY working towards those goals: first, writer (since I can control that); second, marriage (I can always be working on this goal through how I see myself and who I become, as well as who I socialize with); third, motherhood (umm...see #2).
So, with that said, I'm posting my goal on my blog so I'll be more accountable for it:
I've been told that November is "write a novel" month. Well, I already have a novel--I just need to finish editing it. Here's my goal:
I will write/revise my novel at least a few minutes EVERY day the month of November.
I thought about making it a goal to finish revising my novel by the end of next month, but another important part of having goals is having practical goals--goals you can accomplish. Honestly, with over 400 pages left to revise, I doubt I could finish my novel by December, but I can at least work towards finishing it everyday.
That is my goal. That is my promise.
And I'm counting on you (whoever you may be) to hold me to it!
Good for you!!!!! and when you have finished editing most of it, you can send me some chapters :)
ReplyDelete