Richard and I are engaged!!!
And I can't even express how happy and excited and blessed I feel right now! I truly am marrying the best guy in the world. How did I get so lucky?
As for the proposal, it was perfect. Here's a quick rendition of the evening: Last Saturday, Richard asked if I wanted to go for a walk, so we drove to a bike/walking path along the Jordan River. However, the further we walked, the colder I got (the wind was blowing and my ears started to throb), so I asked if we could turn around and head back to the car. Later I found out he was planning on proposing to me on our little walk, but I kind of ruined that plan so...
...plan B. Richard asked if we could go for a little drive, so we drove around downtown Salt Lake City a little, and then headed up the hill north of the city to get a better view. Along the way, Richard said he remembered that the church cemetery wasn't too far from where we were, and since I've always wanted to see where President Hinckley is buried, we decided to drive around until we found it. His large tombstone wasn't too hard to find, and we got out of the car to get a better look. By this time, the sun had come out again and it turned into a nice afternoon. I was done looking after a few minutes, but Richard acted like he wanted to linger longer...until about 2 or 3 cars suddenly arrived. Once again, I found out later that Richard was tempted to propose in the graveyard before all those cars showed up. All I have to say about that is I'm sure Somebody sent those cars there on purpose ;) So, poor Richard had to shift plans again and retreat to...
...plan C. We continued to drive higher and higher and weave through the neighborhoods when Richard suddenly stopped the car right here:

It doesn't look like much except it had an amazing view. But, as Richard quickly pointed out to me, there were stairs and stairs had to lead to something great like a park. So we got out of the car and headed down the stairs to discover this:



Yes, there was a park after all. But the top picture is where we remained: in a private, grassy area above the park without anyone around. We stood talking and admiring the view for awhile, and then we turned around as if to head back to the car. Suddenly, Richard stopped and turned to face me. Then, I distinctly remember him saying (although he denies this), "Well, this looks like a good place." Well, I'm not really sure what my mind did at this point, but I knew he was referring to proposing, and I was suddenly thrown into that surreal, I can't believe this is really happening to me! moments and blurted out, "You mean you're going to do it now?" Richard's response, with a slightly anxious look on his face, was, "I don't have to do it now," to which I quickly said, "No, no, no! You can do it now!" Then I got a huge smile on my face and started laughing. Richard got on his knee and lifted up his pant leg to reveal the ring box hidden in his sock! It had been there the entire time, and I had no idea! Still on one knee, he opened the box and asked the big question. I was still laughing (more that shock laughter mixed with giddiness), but managed to say, "Yes, yes, yes!" We hugged and kissed and laughed together as the realization hit us that we were getting married! Then I remembered my camera in the car and took lots of pictures to capture the moment.
So like I mentioned before, it truly was ideal: the sun was shining, no one was around but us, the view was stunning, and I was with the man of my dreams. Perfect.
We found a nice spot near some tennis courts on the hill to sit and talk and enjoy the view (and my new ring!) for about an hour, and it was probably the best hour of my life. =)

The ring! Yes, I helped Richard pick it out. It was more important to him that I got exactly what I wanted than it being a surprise, and I was definitely ok with that ;)
Richard feeling relieved that that was all over with...He later joked that it was like ripping off a band-aid! I can't even imagine how nerve-racking proposing can be!

I absolutely love it! It's perfect--simple, yet elegant. And it comes with the greatest gift of all ;)
As for the proposal, it was perfect. Here's a quick rendition of the evening: Last Saturday, Richard asked if I wanted to go for a walk, so we drove to a bike/walking path along the Jordan River. However, the further we walked, the colder I got (the wind was blowing and my ears started to throb), so I asked if we could turn around and head back to the car. Later I found out he was planning on proposing to me on our little walk, but I kind of ruined that plan so...
...plan B. Richard asked if we could go for a little drive, so we drove around downtown Salt Lake City a little, and then headed up the hill north of the city to get a better view. Along the way, Richard said he remembered that the church cemetery wasn't too far from where we were, and since I've always wanted to see where President Hinckley is buried, we decided to drive around until we found it. His large tombstone wasn't too hard to find, and we got out of the car to get a better look. By this time, the sun had come out again and it turned into a nice afternoon. I was done looking after a few minutes, but Richard acted like he wanted to linger longer...until about 2 or 3 cars suddenly arrived. Once again, I found out later that Richard was tempted to propose in the graveyard before all those cars showed up. All I have to say about that is I'm sure Somebody sent those cars there on purpose ;) So, poor Richard had to shift plans again and retreat to...
...plan C. We continued to drive higher and higher and weave through the neighborhoods when Richard suddenly stopped the car right here:
It doesn't look like much except it had an amazing view. But, as Richard quickly pointed out to me, there were stairs and stairs had to lead to something great like a park. So we got out of the car and headed down the stairs to discover this:
Yes, there was a park after all. But the top picture is where we remained: in a private, grassy area above the park without anyone around. We stood talking and admiring the view for awhile, and then we turned around as if to head back to the car. Suddenly, Richard stopped and turned to face me. Then, I distinctly remember him saying (although he denies this), "Well, this looks like a good place." Well, I'm not really sure what my mind did at this point, but I knew he was referring to proposing, and I was suddenly thrown into that surreal, I can't believe this is really happening to me! moments and blurted out, "You mean you're going to do it now?" Richard's response, with a slightly anxious look on his face, was, "I don't have to do it now," to which I quickly said, "No, no, no! You can do it now!" Then I got a huge smile on my face and started laughing. Richard got on his knee and lifted up his pant leg to reveal the ring box hidden in his sock! It had been there the entire time, and I had no idea! Still on one knee, he opened the box and asked the big question. I was still laughing (more that shock laughter mixed with giddiness), but managed to say, "Yes, yes, yes!" We hugged and kissed and laughed together as the realization hit us that we were getting married! Then I remembered my camera in the car and took lots of pictures to capture the moment.
So like I mentioned before, it truly was ideal: the sun was shining, no one was around but us, the view was stunning, and I was with the man of my dreams. Perfect.
We found a nice spot near some tennis courts on the hill to sit and talk and enjoy the view (and my new ring!) for about an hour, and it was probably the best hour of my life. =)
The ring! Yes, I helped Richard pick it out. It was more important to him that I got exactly what I wanted than it being a surprise, and I was definitely ok with that ;)
Me standing at the top of the hill where we sat and talked for awhile. It was a beautiful day and a great view!
The exact spot where Richard proposed
Me being a girl...haha
And the ring close and personal:
And the ring close and personal:
To answer any remaining questions people may have, we're getting married on June 24 in the Portland, OR temple. 3 months may not seem long enough to plan a wedding from out-of-state, but June really can't come soon enough! I'm so excited to begin this new journey in my life with the man that I love.
Cute story! Also, cute shirt! I will always remember you got engaged in the London shirt. haha.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!!! So happy for you :)
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL ring Allison! Such a fun story too! Smart guy for keeping it in his sock, when Ryan proposed, (well actually right before he proposed) I could see the ring box very obviously in his pocket! :) hehe
ReplyDeleteSo SO SO Happy for you! You two are glowing!
Yay for love!
Oh my goodness! I'm so happy for you! And planning a wedding in 3 months is VERY do-able. (I got engaged March 17 and married June 18.) You will get everything done with time to spare. Oh. I couldn't be more happy for you, dear friend! It sounds like it was absolutely perfect. Thank you for sharing. You've made my day!
ReplyDeleteYAY YAY YAY!!!!! YES!!! I am so excited for you! He seems like such a great guy and your perfect match!!!! Such a cute story. LOVE the ring. CONGRATS!!! So so so so so so happy for you.....
ReplyDeleteOmg omg omg!!!!!Allison that is soooo exciting! I am so happy for you!!! :) Also, I love your ring. It is super classy. It's perfect.
ReplyDeleteYAY!!!!! Congrats! You are just glowing! SO EXCITED FOR YOU
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Allison! The moment you mentioned Richard's name, we all knew. ;) You both look so happy! We can't wait for June to roll around! Love you!
ReplyDeleteAllison!!! I can't believe how slow I was to find this out!!! That's so exciting! Congratulations!!!!
ReplyDelete